Distance: 5.5 km
Time to complete: 1 hour
The Hollyburn area has an important historical significance to West Vancouver. The area is associated with one of West Vancouver’s pioneer families: the Lawsons. John Lawson and his family moved to the area in 1907 and immediately began developing their new property. Along the creek bed, or burn as it was known to the Lawsons, many holly bushes were planted. These were John Lawson’s favourite plants and his property became known as Hollyburn. Over time the area grew and developed, incorporating a ferry service from Vancouver, a school, a post office and general stores. Currently, the area is bustling with various retail shops, services and a community park. Many of the original bushes planted by John Lawson still thrive along the east side of the park area.