In 1949, members of the Vancouver University Club living on the North Shore formed the West Vancouver Women's Graduate Group. In 1956, the group voted to become affiliated with the Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) founded in 1919, and by 1957 the group became the West Vancouver University Women's Club. In 1989, structural changes to the Canadian Federation of University Women led to a consequent name change of the local group to Canadian Federation of University Women - West Vancouver. The Canadian Federation of University Women is a member of the International Federation of University Women.
The mandate of the Canadian Federation of University Women is: firstly, to encourage advanced study and research by women university graduates; secondly, to arouse and sustain among members an intelligent interest in all aspects of public affairs in the political, social, cultural and scientific fields and to encourage an active participation in such affairs by qualified women; thirdly, to foster a sense of responsibility and encourage women university graduates to place their educational and professional training at the service of the community in local, national and international fields and to be concerned with human rights and at the same time to safeguard and improve the economic, legal and professional status of Canadian women; and fourthly. to participate in the work of the International Federation of University Women in order to bring about understanding, friendship and cooperation among women university graduates, irrespective of race, religion or political opinion.