A neighbourhood in West Vancouver. Roughly the area from 28th Street in the east to 31st Street in the west, and from Burrard Inlet in the south to Rosebery Avenue in the north.
In the period shortly after 1900, much land in what was to become West Vancouver was owned by two brothers, John Fitzgerald Mahon (1858-1942) and Edward Mahon (1862-1937), principals in the North Vancouver Land and Improvement Co. Their agent in West Vancouver was Robert Cecil Procter. What came to be known as Altamont was most of D.L. 556, owned at the time by John F. Mahon. Mahon's wife was Lady Alice Mahon, and her brother was the eldest son of the Marquis of Sligo, and held the courtesy title Earl of Altamont. When the subdivision of D.L. 556 was being undertaken in 1913, Mr. Procter suggested the name of Altamont for the development.
Altamont was then also the name given to the stop of the Pacific Great Eastern Railway in this location when it arrived in 1914. The halt was located near the intersection of 29th Street and the railway line.
BC Geographical Names Office
Place Names of West Vancouver: A Gazetteer (West Vancouver Historical Society, 2004)
Rupert Harrison fonds. Street and place names (CA BWVA F061-S01-F133)